Please note that all parts were bought around 1998, so prices will probably have changed. Prices in EURO are what I paid, including sales tax, shipping and import duties, if applicable. (Well, actually they are converted from Deutsche Mark prices, which was our currency back then.) The US$ prices are for orientation only; they are merely the EURO prices multiplied by 1.12 - the approximate exchange rate at the time of purchase.
The mechanics turned out to cause a substantial part of the cost. You can probably get away much cheaper with a more improvised setup (which I did not dare, since I found the expected mechanical stability most difficult to judge). Better yet - enlist someone with a lathe and mill in the project...
I obtained free samples of the Maxim A/D and D/A converters. The MAX195 would have been about EUR 45 (US$ 50) in single quantities; I don't know about the MAX542, but would guess another EUR 45 for two of them.